The Chair researches in the field of paraseismic engineering:
- measurements of ground vibrations and building structures, including the development and implementation of vibration monitoring systems,
- forecasts of dynamic influences (in particular paraseismic) on building structures,
- assessment of the impact of vibrations on the environment. It refers to the harmfulness of vibrations on buildings and devices in buildings and the effect of vibrations on people in buildings,
- protection against vibrations of buildings and people in buildings - incl. designing vibro-isolation in buildings and at the source of vibrations (e.g. in railway and tram tracks) as well as vibro-isolation partitions in the ground.
These works concern all types of mechanical vibrations, in particular:
- communication vibrations caused by the passage of motor vehicles, trains, trams, underground, etc.
- vibrations caused by the driving of foundation piles and sheet piling in the vicinity of buildings and other construction work (demolition works, operation of vibrating road rollers, etc.),
- vibrations from all kinds of explosions, mining operations in quarries, mines (including mining tremors), Etc
- vibrations caused by the operation of mechanical devices inside buildings (e.g. fans, vibrating screens, etc.) or in their vicinity (compressors, vibratory hammers).
The Chair also offers:
- static and dynamic tests of bridges,
- analyzes, calculations and dynamic tests of machine foundations (including turbine sets),
- calculations and dynamic tests of tower structures, masts with guy lines, mine hoisting towers, etc.,
- diagnostics of industrial chimneys,
- consultation on various dynamic problems.
The Chair cooperates with an accredited Laboratory for Testing Deformation and Vibration of Structures, equipped with specialized apparatus for recording and analyzing mechanical vibrations and deformation measurements.
The Chair employs a highly qualified team of specialists - 6 professors and scientists with full building qualifications. The Department has developed, among other things, Polish standards:
- PN-85 / B-02170 "Assessment of the harmfulness of vibrations transmitted through the ground on buildings" and its amendment to PN-B-02170: 2016-12 and
- PN-88 / B-02171 "Assessment of the impact of vibrations on people in buildings" and its amendment to PN-B-02171: 2017-06