The institute performs works in the field of parasesmic engineering:
- measurements of ground vibrations and building objects, including the development and implementation of vibration monitoring systems,
- forecasts of dynamic (in particular paraseismic) influences on building objects,
- assessment of vibration impact on the environment (harmfulness of vibrations for buildings and devices in buildings and the impact of vibrations on people in buildings),
- protection against vibrations of building objects and people in buildings - incl. design of vibroinsulation in buildings and in the source of vibrations (eg in railway and tram surfaces) and vibrating barriers in the ground.
These works concern all types of mechanical vibrations, in particular:
- communication vibrations caused by the passage of motor vehicles, trains, trams, underground, etc.
- vibrations caused by driving in foundation piles and sheet pilings in the vicinity of buildings and other construction works (demolition works, operation of vibratory road rollers, etc.),
- vibrations coming from all kinds of explosions, mining exploitation in quarries, mines (also crumbles), etc.
- vibrations caused by the operation of mechanical devices inside buildings (eg fans, vibration sieves, etc.) or in their vicinity (compressors, vibratory trimmers),
- vibrations caused by wind on buildings (including vortex excitations).
The Institute also offers:
- static and dynamic tests of bridges,
- analyzes, calculations and dynamic tests of machine foundations (including turbine sets),
- calculations and dynamic tests of tower buildings, masts with lashings, mine towers etc.,
- diagnostics of industrial chimneys,
- consultation of various dynamic problems,
- testing of construction models (eg bridges) in a wind tunnel.
The Institute has two laboratories carrying out experimental research:
- Laboratory of Deformations and Vibration Studies of Structures (L-45) equipped with specialist apparatus for recording and analyzing mechanical vibrations and deformation measurements,
- Laboratory of Wind Engineering (L-44) with a modern wind tunnel.
The Institute employs a highly qualified team of specialists (including experts in the field of environmental protection and construction) who have developed Polish standards: : PN-85/B-02170 " Evaluation of harmfulness of vibrations transmitted by the ground to buildings" and PN-88/B-02171 " Evaluation of the impact of vibrations on people in buildings ".